Walk in the local zoo

Spring suddenly arrived, so I have a number of images waiting for processing! A few weeks ago I took a walk with my family in a local zoo, and also brought my new toy for a test drive. I mentioned new toy? Oh yes!

There is a neverending debate about full frame digital cameras on all forums and photo sites. Some say that full frame is unnecessary, because APS-C sensor satisfy all our needs and it is just an expensive toy for the rich. Others say that full frame gives more options, and of course, less depth of field, which can't be reproduced by APS-C cameras. My biggest problem with the Sony NEX is the crop factor, which makes it difficult to find good and fast wide angle and normal lens for the platform. (Remember, I mostly used old, film-era glass!) I know that Carl Zeiss, probably the most famous optical company, is going to introduce some fine primes for the system, but I will wait and see the results before I make the financial investment in that system. Moreover the introduction of the Canon 5D Mark III pushed the "old", first generation 5D's price to pretty acceptable levels. So I decided to give it a try, and bought a nice one from ebay. This time I attached probably my finest lens, the Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135mm f3.5 MC to the 5D. All the shots were taken wide open; I have to admit that the camera really impressed me so far!
 
Do not disturb!
Do not disturb!

Metadata

Camera: Canon 5D
Lens: Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135mm f3.5 MC
Processing: Kodak Portra 400 profile


This is not fast glass, but depth of field is not bad (shallow enough) on a full frame body. And my copy lives up to the hype! It is really sharp even wide open! I also love the gentle focus transition, trademark of the Sonnar design.


Sunday resting
Sunday resting
Metadata

Camera: Canon 5D
Lens: Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135mm f3.5 MC
Processing: Kodak Portra 400 profile


I also experimented a bit in the post processing and applied a classic film profile to the images. It is a debatable concept, but I liked how the profile added contrast and made the greens richer. Good results with a single click! However the nice, warm light was lost as a tradeoff.
 

Three amigos
Three amigos
Metadata

Camera: Canon 5D
Lens: Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135mm f3.5 MC
Processing: Kodak Portra 400 profile


Here is more neutral processing, which preserved the mood of that afternoon better. Let's meet with the king of the zoo!


Audience
Audience
Metadata

Camera: Canon 5D
Lens: Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135mm f3.5 MC


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sword lilies

Magnificent sunbeam: Slow evening

Magnificent sunbeam: Golden sunset after summer storm